“At Kohn Swift I have worked on cases that not only further social justice but also generate large scale changes that impact a wide range of people, including underrepresented and underserved populations.”
TAHA V. BUCKS COUNTY
Attorneys from Kohn Swift brought a civil rights class action against Bucks County, Pennsylvania for illegally disseminating mugshots and other identifying information on an “inmate lookup tool” located on Bucks County’s website from 2011-2013. The lawsuit resulted in a jury verdict for plaintiffs after a 5-day trial. The case ultimately settled with up to 68,000 class members receiving $600 each.
ZOLITOR ET AL V. CITY OF PHILADELPHIA
Kohn Swift attorneys filed a civil rights lawsuit on behalf of protesters who were tear gassed by the Philadelphia Police during the 2020 Black Lives Matter protests. Plaintiffs allege that the City of Philadelphia unlawfully directed the Philadelphia Police and SWAT team members to violently disperse peaceful demonstrators with pepper spray, tear gas, pepper spray pellets and bean bags.
Aarthi Manohar represents clients in complex class action litigation including civil rights, sex abuse, consumer, and employment cases.
Ms. Manohar is skilled at communicating difficult legal concepts to clients with empathy. She brings her substantial courtroom experience and skill to each case, using her writing and litigation skills to fight for justice, whether that is a monetary award, a policy reform, or some type of equitable relief measure.
Ms. Manohar’s background in journalism helps her understand and develop client narratives and uncover facts relevant to making a compelling case.
Prior to her work at Kohn Swift, Ms. Manohar worked at an employment litigation firm, and a Social Security firm, where she represented disabled clients at administrative law hearings.
Ms. Manohar received her bachelor’s degree magna cum laude from Bryn Mawr College, her J.D. from the Villanova University School of Law, and her M.S. in Journalism from Columbia University.
Ms. Manohar serves on the Philadelphia Chapter Board of ACLU-PA.
She enjoys running and biking, taking her dog to the park, and reading.
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- Ms. Manohar was selected by Billy Penn as “Who’s Next in the Law” in 2016. She has also been selected to Super Lawyers Rising Stars.
REPRESENTATIVE CASES INCLUDE
- USC v. George Tyndall (federal, not state): class action lawsuit on behalf of students who were sexually abused by a university physician.
- Taha v. Bucks County: class action civil rights lawsuit on behalf of prison inmates whose privacy rights were violated when their mugshots and other identifying information were placed on the internet.
- Zolitor et al. v. City of Philadelphia: civil rights lawsuit on behalf of protesters who were tear gassed by the Philadelphia Police during the 2020 BLM protests.
- Eastman et al. v. City of Philadelphia: recently filed civil rights class action on behalf of drivers whose cars were towed without notice by the City.
- Edmonson et al. v. Raniere: lawsuit for trafficking, forced labor, and sexual abuses brought on behalf of survivors of NXIVM cult.
- Geiss v. Weinstein: lawsuit brought on behalf of survivors who were sexually abused by Harvey Weinstein.